Wednesday 6 February 2008

And so it begins ...

Well ... here I am at the University of St Andrews in Fife Scotland as a visiting Professor of Computer Science, on sabbatical leave from the University of Wyoming. I've linked to my St Andrews web page in my profile and you can link to the University and Department from there including a link to the research project I am affiliated with here. I'm working with Ian Gent and Roy Dyckhoff .

I'd (of course) planned on trying to keep notes since I arrived, and (of course) I am behind having arrived on January 22. I will at least try to do something. I hope to keep track of rather more personal items here; occasional notes from an American living in Scotland kind of thing. But right now, I need to get off to the office -- I'm scheduled to give a talk on Friday that I have not started to prepared yet.

More soon ... I hope.

5 comments:

Garrett said...

Nice blog! I enjoyed the video of the most dangerous road in Scotland and the dam over flowing. Looks like your having fun. You should fish the river where you were on your road trip. What a beautiful land scape. Mom says an old guy is going to take you salmon fishing. enjoy!!!!!! Your sound workes on the videos.

Anonymous said...

hi dad

Kate said...

Hello James. If you are not too busy I can recommend a castle grab tour up the east coast- Cecilia will give you lots of recommendations that are off the beaten track. My favourites were the one on the coast where Hamlet was filmed, the one with all the toilets and the one with a vomititorium ( reputed).

Old Gunkie in Wyoming said...

Hi Kate ... well sure I'm interested. Of course I am busier than I imagined I would be, but information on tours is welcome.

Jim

Kate said...

Ah- recommend as in -" I think it would be a good use of your time and you would enjoy it " rather than- " and this is their telephone number". My tour was tailor made and very exclusive- consisting of me, husband, big sister ( Cecilia ) and sprogs.